- Akademische Forschung und Lehre
- Geräte des KIT
- Mitarbeiter des KIT
- Studierende des KIT (auch auf privaten Geräten)
|Contact Person:||Helmut Gündert||Services:||Antivirus Mailserver|
The McAfee agent software enables the management of a client system from a central management server. The client system can be provided with updates of the virus definitions files, patches and hotfixes and programm updates for the installed McAfee products. With the help of the McAfee agent the administrators are able to monitor on a central console all their managed systems allowing them to see the status and configuration of the antivirus software.
The current version of the McAfee agenten for the KIT is version 18.104.22.1682 for Linux and Windows and version 22.214.171.1244 for macOS.
For other operating systems McAfee provides the version 4.8 patch 3.
Windows XP, Windows Embedded and Windows Server 2003 (R2) systems (and for only these!), that have to be continued to be operated, is the last supported agent version 5.0.3. This version has to be installed manually.
Windows 2000 systems (and only these!), that have to be further operated, is the last supported agent version 4.0 patch 4 (1532). This version has to be installed manually. Only this version is compatible to the current management server 5.X.
Supported platforms agent 5.5.1
- Microsoft Windows 10 including update 1507 to 1803 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows 8 and 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016 (Standard, Datacenter, Essentials, Core)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 (Standard, Datacenter, Essentials, Foundation, Core)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 (Standard, Enterprise, DataCenter, Web, Core)
- Amazon Linux AMI 2014.x, 2016 and 2017
- Mac OS X 10.9 to 10.14
- Cent OS 5.X, 6.X and 7.X
- Debian 5, 6, 7, 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- OpenSUSE 11.0-11.3, 12.1, 13.1, 13.2 and Tumbleweed and Leap
- Oracle Enterprise Linux 5, 6 and 7
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, 6 and 7
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10, 11, 12
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, 11, 12
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Real Time Extension 10, 11 and 12
- Ubuntu 11.04 and later
Supported Non-Windows platforms agent 4.8
- AIX 5.3 TL 6 and higher, 6.1 and 7.1 (only 64-bit)
- Mac OS X 10.5 - 10.11
- Fedora 14.x, 15.x, 16.x
- HP-UX 11i v1 (build 11.11), 11i v2 (build 11.23, also Itanium), 11i 11.31 alsoItanium)
- Lifeline 4
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
- Solaris 9, 10, 11 (32-bit and 64-bit)
A more detailed table showing the supported operating systems is available on the McAfee site.
Downloads and Installation
The provided versions of the McAfee agent have been prepared for use with and will report to the central antivirus management server of the KIT. Please follow the installation instructions given in the documentation.
McAfee agent 5.5.1
- McAfee agent (Windows)
- McAfee agent (Linux, rpm-based systems)
- McAfee agent (Linux, deb-based systems)
- McAfee agent (Mac OS)
McAfee agent 4.8 patch 3
ONLY FOR Windows XP, WINDOWS EMBEDDED, WINDOWS SERVER 2003 (R2): McAfee agent 5.0.3
ONLY FOR WINDOWS SERVER 2000: McAfee agent 4.0 patch 4
Installation links for the web-based installation of the agent 5.5.1
The following links can be used to install the agent software on a target system. Please pay attention, that these links are only available on the KIT network. The management server is not directly available from the internet. For the installation to be carried out, select the link and follow the provided instructions. Currently this service is only available for Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
NOTE: The McAfeeSmartInstall.sh requires glibc 2.7 or later when installing native 64-bit McAfee Agent, and glibc 2.3.2 or later when installing 32-bit McAfee Agent from the Agent Deployment URL.
Installation alternatives for McAfee software
Installation using the central anti-virus management system
To install McAfee software on computer systems, it suffices if the McAfee agent for the central anti-virus management system is installed on the system. Further McAfee software can then be installed and managed via the anti-virus management console. Systems that take part in the central anti-virus management system will receive all relevant updates (newer virus definition files (DAT/AMCore files), hotfixes and patches) as well as version upgrades of the anti-virus software and other McAfee software automatically.
The installation of the anti-virus software will be carried out automatically within one hour of installing the McAfee agent software as long as the system is connected to the KIT network.
The SCC recommends this way to install the anti-virus software for computer systems of the KIT.
The McAfee software can be installed on computer systems as a stand-alone software without any dependencies on the central anti-virus managment system. Updates of the virus defintion files (DAT/AMCore files) will be provided directly from McAfee. Software updates (hotfixes and patches and newer versions of the software) will have to be manually installed.