Research and Innovation
Science for Services – Services for Science
SCC's research and developments aim particularly at a permanent and innovative optimisation of the IT services. The sectors IT services and research & development in the field of applied information technologies are established under one roof in order to achieve a maximum efficiency and quality.
SCC stands for internationally visible research, development and innovation in the fields of high performance computing (HPC), data intensive computing (DIC), and secure IT federations. As part of these activities SCC cooperates with partners from science and industry in Europe and beyond. SCC’s research focuses on scientific computing, modelling and simulation, large scale data management & analysis, grids, and cloud computing. Other priorities are cluster computing, innovative network technologies, IT security, and virtualisation.
The SCC is also involved in two programs of the Helmholtz Association: In the Engineering Digital Futures program of the Helmholtz Research Field Information, the SCC is strongly involved in the field of Computational and Data-Enabled Science and Engineering with its Simulation and Data Life Cycle Labs, numerous generic research and development activities, and the Large Scale Data Facility (LSDF). In the research area Matter and as part of the Matter and Universe program, the SCC operates the LK-II Large Scale Research Facility GridKa as the German Tier1 data and analysis center for elementary and astroparticle physics, is thus a cornerstone of the Worldwide LHC Computing Grid (WLCG), and serves the 4 LHC experiments ALICE, ATLAS, CMS, and LHCb, as well as continuing to operate the Belle-II, Pierre-Auger, and IceCube experiments.
In addition, the SCC is very involved in the Helmholtz Incubator Information & Data Science, among others, through a strong participation in the platforms Helmholtz AI / HAICU (artificial intelligence), HMC (metadata) and HIFIS (federated IT services) as well as in numerous pilot projects.
- Project Overview
- Data Management, Data Analysis and secure IT Federations
- bwDataDiss - Data Portal for Dissertations
- bwDIM - bwDataInMotion
- EDEL - Development of a decentralized electronic laboratory notebook
- Federated Identity Management
- EUDAT 2020
- Grid Computing
- Helmholtz Analytics Framework
- Helmholtz-Datenföderation (HDF)
- Large Scale Data Management & Analysis
- Large Scale Data Facility (LSDF)
- Forschungsdaten Management
- RADAR - Research Data Repositorium
- Service team research data management
- Smart Data Innovation Lab
- Computational Science and Engineering
- Dynamic IT Infrastructures