KIT-WLAN@Home: Instructions & FAQ
Installing a RAP
- To use the service, you must borrow a Remote Access Point (RAP) from the SCC.
- You must connect this to a free Ethernet port in your home network.
- Please use ONLY the Ethernet port Eth0 (black color code on the device) of the RAP for this!!!
- At the remaining ports (depending on the model Eth1-ETh3) of the RAP you can connect further devices from your home office, e.g. a PC or printer.
- Please be careful not to plug a "loop", especially to connect the RAP only with one cable to your home network, otherwise your home network will not work anymore.
- Use only one of the cables supplied by the SCC for connection.
- Place the RAP so that it illuminates your home office well, this can be near your WLAN access point for your home network. Two cables with different lengths are available for this purpose.
- Note: The RAP only works in the 5 GHz WLAN band, it looks for a free channel and should not interfere with your "home" WLAN in any way.
- As soon as the RAP stops blinking, it is functional, i.e. it emits the SSIDs "KIT" and "eduroam".
- You can now use this to connect as you are used to at the KIT campus. In particular, the wifi2vlan access also works, provided this is set up for you.