MS Teams - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) ...
If you want to add student accounts "uxxxx" to teams via the team administration, be sure to enter the abbreviation followed by "@" in the search, i.e. "uxxxx@"! Otherwise the student account "uxxxx" may not be found. ∂ student kit edu
How to create a join link is explained in this short tutorial.
External partners cannot currently be included in MS Teams as guests of a team at KIT. In addition, data storage under OneDrive and thus a comfortable data exchange with external partners is currently not possible.
Disadvantage: the external person has to log in to MS Teams with the KIT-GuP account and cannot use the possibly already existing MS Teams account of his OU/institution.
Note: A guest account is set up relatively quickly. This must be activated by the person using it in the SCC Self-Service Portal so that logging into MS Teams can be done via the mail address ab1234∂partner.kit.edu.
Furthermore, we would like to point out the following services provided by the SCC, for data exchange and collaboration:
- KIT Teamsites - Platform for collaboration and communication of teams at KIT (organizational units, working and project groups).
- bwSync&Share - online storage service for employees and students of the universities and colleges in Baden-Württemberg.
- KIT data storage (OE directory) for exchange with everyone who has a KIT account (would then be possible with externals who have a GuP account)
from Students & Guest Students
In order for you (the students) to be offered courses in teams, the following steps must be taken:
- The invitation to join a team must be accepted (join team). The invitation is sent out by the lecturer, or you can join a team in Ilias.
- Teams must be started (web application or app) and
Solution for problems
The cause of the problem is most likely due to an error at Microsoft and the sometimes very long synchronization times of individual components.
- Please try Chrome https://teams.microsoft.com first.
- Log out/log in. To log out means: Click on log out in the top right corner. Always log in with your KIT Account uxxxx∂student.kit.edu to
- For problems with the desktop app (client change works in the browser)
- switch back and forth between clients in the browser. This should also be possible with a time delay in the client.
- Empty the cache: https://medium.com/365uc/how-to-force-refresh-rebuild-of-microsoft-teams-client-cache-e92b7739fca3
- Reinstall the desktop app.
However, if the supervisor starts a chat with the student, her contact will appear in the student's contact list and the communication can be maintained at any time.
Lecturers can apply for one or more guest accounts for their guest students (GH) via the ticket system for the use of MS Teams at KIT.
Once the GH account has been created, it must be assigned to the appropriate team (lecture) by the lecturer, unless it was specified when applying.
For the assignment of multiple Gashthörer accounts, use the Excel file "Template_MSTeams_GasthoererInnenAmKIT.xlsx" (explanations included) and attach it to the assignment ticket.
to Log In & Starting
When registering for teams, the account verification is forwarded to our own Shibboleth provider. Here the account (in the form ab1234 or uxxxx) is requested again.
The password is requested at this point and only at this point.
If you have to enter a password beforehand, you are either not logging in with an account within kit.edu/student.kit.edu/partner.kit.edu or you have landed on a page that poses a security risk.
Bottom line: only provide the password on our own site!
Error message when trying to log in: AADSTS51004
Only then your account will be synced into the MS Teams area. This may take about 30 min. After that, try to log in again.
You may receive such a popup window:
Here you need to uncheck "Allow my device to be managed by my organization" and then click "No, only log in to this app" (or similar). After that, the login process continues as usual.
Proceed as follows:
- Close MS Teams DesktopApp
- If it is at the bottom of the bar: Shift + right mouse over the Teams icon.
- A context menu should pop up
- Select "Open file path" there
- Now the explorer should open with the Teams directory
- Right click on the file "Update.exe" and select properties
- Tab "Compatibility
- Set compatibility mode to "Windows 8" (confirm everything)
- Restart MS Teams DesktopApp
to Privacy & Security
In the table, teams can be left again by clicking on "Leave team". It may take some time until the change is synchronized in all systems and is also displayed in the Teams client.
Here you can find, for example, the e-mail address with which you can be invited externally. Under the heading "Organizations" you can see all the organizations you work with. Here you can also leave external organizations.
Please note: The password to your own account cannot be changed here!
The Teams account is linked to the KIT account at KIT. And the rule is: password change only via identity management (IDM), this means Password change only via my.scc.kit.edu .
to Application & Functionality
Standard chat responses
Mobile Teams clients have recently added the ability to use standard replies in chat.
To the question: "Shall we have dinner together?" the answers "Can we" - "Yes" - "Yes, absolutely" are offered as a small additional menu.
This option is only offered for chats in your own client (in our case, in the tenant "Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)").
You can turn this off in the following way:
On the mobile device, open Teams. Go to settings via the round icon next to "chat".
Then select Messages. In the following window, this functionality can be switched off.
At the end of September 2021 there was an update of the "insiders" version, in the meantime the regular version has also been updated. The client switching problem should be solved with the current Teams client version for Linux.
_ _ _
Switching organisation with a Linux client for MS Teams does not seem to work reliably. Microsoft is aware of the problem, as the request in the MS Forum shows. The only workaround is to use MS Teams with accounts from other organizations (clients) via a browser recommended by Microsoft for MS Teams (Google Chrome, Edge).
So you have to click on the bobble, click on "Account and Orgs" and then finally select the client.
- You can only find people who have agreed to use Microsoft Teams. No record is created in the address book without consent.
- Shorter searches than 6 characters are not possible.
- Students can only be found in the employee client if they have been invited.
- Students can only be searched by first name and surname if they have agreed to the transfer. Otherwise students are only listed under pseudonym.
- One account can have multiple email addresses associated with it, but only one of them is transferred to the Microsoft cloud. Therefore, finding an email address is often difficult.
- Newly created accounts are not immediately available in the directories.
- Your team client may have cached old search results.
The recording function in MS Teams meetings has been deactivated at KIT for data protection reasons. Recording meetings in MS Teams is therefore no longer available.
If you absolutely need this function in MS Teams, please contact the Data Protection Unit - https://www.dsb.kit.edu .
For this purpose, with the client app now gives a new icon: Two nested rectangles.
If you click on them, you can create different rooms and assign people to them.
Without a client app, there are the following two options:
Meeting only with team members in teams
- create multiple channels
- assign one channel to each team member
- start a meeting in all channels in time
For discussion, the team members then use the respective meeting in the selected channel
Meeting with team members and with external participants
- Create an Outlook appointment for each breakout room with "New Teams Meeting".
- Name the appointments in a meaningful way. They are all in parallel in terms of time.
- Now create a web page for yourself on which you embed the meeting links
This way, everyone can access the right spaces for discussion in smaller groups.
Reason: The KIT mailboxes would have to be located at Microsoft in the cloud, but these are located locally on the KIT Exchange servers. Please note that in this case the substitute is the organizer of this meeting.
to Installation & Configuration
If you have installed Teams as an app on a smartphone, you can change the picture there.
Nevertheless, the currently set profile picture still does not appear in the desktop app in the "bobble" at the top right. Unfortunately, we do not have a solution for this at the moment.
However, other team members will see your photo in meetings/chats!
Please be patient until the change is displayed correctly for everyone.