MS Teams - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) ...
In these two types, the OneNote notebook is used as the notebook. This can be used with the OneNote versions licensed and available at KIT.
For more information and distinguishing features of the team types, please refer to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/choose-a-team-type-to-collaborate-in-microsoft-teams-0a971053-d640-4555-9fd7-f785c2b99e67
If you want to add student accounts "uxxxx" to teams via the team administration, be sure to enter the abbreviation followed by "@" in the search, i.e. "uxxxx@"! Otherwise the student account "uxxxx" may not be found. ∂ student kit edu
How to create a join link is explained in this short tutorial.
Note and tip
You can find out which address you actually have to use to be invited by an external institution or to be registered there as a guest at https://myaccount.microsoft.com/.
After successful authentication, the mail address/user account is displayed below your name.
To do this, perform the following steps
- open a new private/incognito browser window (Chrome/Edge),
- enter the URL https://myaccount.microsoft.com/,
- enter your user account ab1234 or ∂ kit eduab1234 to log in to MS Teams, ∂ partner kit edu
- you should get to the KIT shibboleth page,
- there you enter your abbreviation and password for authentication at KIT
- and you will get to the MS MyAccount page, where your account with the mail address/account for MS Teams at KIT will appear under the overview (below your profile picture and name).
- Please pass on this address to the external institution.
Explanation: Unfortunately not every account was created with ab1234 or ∂ kit eduab1234, accounts created before March 2020 got a MS Teams/-Azure account with ∂ partner kit eduvorname nachname created (this was the regulation at that time, which is still valid for this group of people). ∂ kit edu
External partners cannot currently be included in MS Teams as guests of a team at KIT. In addition, data storage under OneDrive and thus a comfortable data exchange with external partners is currently not possible.
Disadvantage: the external person has to log in to MS Teams with the KIT-GuP account and cannot use the possibly already existing MS Teams account of his OU/institution.
Note: A guest account is set up relatively quickly. This must be activated by the person using it in the SCC Self-Service Portal so that logging into MS Teams can be done via the mail address ab1234∂partner.kit.edu.
Furthermore, we would like to point out the following services provided by the SCC, for data exchange and collaboration:
- KIT Teamsites - Platform for collaboration and communication of teams at KIT (organizational units, working and project groups).
- bwSync&Share - online storage service for employees and students of the universities and colleges in Baden-Württemberg.
- KIT data storage (OE directory) for exchange with everyone who has a KIT account (would then be possible with externals who have a GuP account)
from Students & Guest Students
In order for you (the students) to be offered courses in teams, the following steps must be taken:
- The invitation to join a team must be accepted (join team). The invitation is sent out by the lecturer, or you can join a team in Ilias.
- Teams must be started (web application or app) and
Solution for problems
Please allow yourself a lot (!) of time between the individual steps. If it still doesn't work after 24 hours, please contact teams-support∂scc.kit.edu with your uxxxx∂student.kit.edu account.
The cause of the problem is most likely due to an error at Microsoft and the sometimes very long synchronization times of individual components.
- Please try Chrome https://teams.microsoft.com first.
- Log out/log in. To log out means: Click on log out in the top right corner. Always log in with your KIT Account uxxxx∂student.kit.edu to
- For problems with the desktop app (client change works in the browser)
- switch back and forth between clients in the browser. This should also be possible with a time delay in the client.
- Empty the cache: https://medium.com/365uc/how-to-force-refresh-rebuild-of-microsoft-teams-client-cache-e92b7739fca3
- Reinstall the desktop app.
However, if the supervisor starts a chat with the student, her contact will appear in the student's contact list and the communication can be maintained at any time.
Lecturers can apply for one or more guest accounts for their guest students (GH) via the ticket system for the use of MS Teams at KIT.
Once the GH account has been created, it must be assigned to the appropriate team (lecture) by the lecturer, unless it was specified when applying.
For the assignment of multiple Gashthörer accounts, use the Excel file "Template_MSTeams_GasthoererInnenAmKIT.xlsx" (explanations included) and attach it to the assignment ticket.
to Log In & Starting
When registering for teams, the account verification is forwarded to our own Shibboleth provider. Here the account (in the form ab1234 or uxxxx) is requested again.
The password is requested at this point and only at this point.
If you have to enter a password beforehand, you are either not logging in with an account within kit.edu/student.kit.edu/partner.kit.edu or you have landed on a page that poses a security risk.
Bottom line: only provide the password on our own site!
Error message when trying to log in: AADSTS51004
Only then your account will be synced into the MS Teams area. This may take about 30 min. After that, try to log in again.
You may receive such a popup window:
Here you need to uncheck "Allow my device to be managed by my organization" and then click "No, only log in to this app" (or similar). After that, the login process continues as usual.
Proceed as follows:
- Close MS Teams DesktopApp
- If it is at the bottom of the bar: Shift + right mouse over the Teams icon.
- A context menu should pop up
- Select "Open file path" there
- Now the explorer should open with the Teams directory
- Right click on the file "Update.exe" and select properties
- Tab "Compatibility
- Set compatibility mode to "Windows 8" (confirm everything)
- Restart MS Teams DesktopApp
to Privacy & Security
In the table, teams can be left again by clicking on "Leave team". It may take some time until the change is synchronized in all systems and is also displayed in the Teams client.
Here you can find, for example, the e-mail address with which you can be invited externally. Under the heading "Organizations" you can see all the organizations you work with. Here you can also leave external organizations.
Please note: The password to your own account cannot be changed here!
The Teams account is linked to the KIT account at KIT. And the rule is: password change only via identity management (IDM), this means Password change only via my.scc.kit.edu .
to Application & Functionality
Standard chat responses
Mobile Teams clients have recently added the ability to use standard replies in chat.
To the question: "Shall we have dinner together?" the answers "Can we" - "Yes" - "Yes, absolutely" are offered as a small additional menu.
This option is only offered for chats in your own client (in our case, in the tenant "Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)").
You can turn this off in the following way:
On the mobile device, open Teams. Go to settings via the round icon next to "chat".
Then select Messages. In the following window, this functionality can be switched off.
Microsoft Teams for Linux users will therefore run in the browser in the future - as a Progressive Web App (PWA). It can be installed in a similar way to an app and offers a few more functions than the previous Linux Teams client.
Info MS TechCommunity: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/microsoft-teams-progressive-web-app-now-available-on-linux/ba-p/3669846
In the Linux Teams client from Microsoft, window splitting is not possible. Microsoft itself writes that this feature does not exist:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/share-content-in-a-meeting-in-teams-fcc2bf59-aecd-4481-8f99-ce55dd836ce8?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us - "Window sharing isn't available for Linux users."
Likewise, with the MS Linux Teams client, the background in a meeting cannot be blurred.
Unofficial Microsoft Teams client for Linux using Electron. It uses the Web App and wraps it as a standalone application using Electron.
- "teams-for-linux" (https://snapcraft.io/teams-for-linux)
So you have to click on the bobble, click on "Account and Orgs" and then finally select the client.
- You can only find people who have agreed to use Microsoft Teams. No record is created in the address book without consent.
- Shorter searches than 6 characters are not possible.
- Students can only be found in the employee client if they have been invited.
- Students can only be searched by first name and surname if they have agreed to the transfer. Otherwise students are only listed under pseudonym.
- One account can have multiple email addresses associated with it, but only one of them is transferred to the Microsoft cloud. Therefore, finding an email address is often difficult.
- Newly created accounts are not immediately available in the directories.
- Your team client may have cached old search results.
The recording function in MS Teams meetings has been deactivated at KIT for data protection reasons. Recording meetings in MS Teams is therefore no longer available.
If you absolutely need this function in MS Teams, please contact the Data Protection Unit - https://www.dsb.kit.edu .
ATTENTION!!! The recording function is still deactivated on the KIT.
General instructions for recording a Teams meeting can be found at Microsoft Support at https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/record-a-meeting-in-teams-34dfbe7f-b07d-4a27-b4c6-de62f1348c24.Note that recording is only possible in a meeting that was started in a team. Also, only owners and members of a team have permission to start or stop recording a meeting. Guests and people from other organizations are not authorized to do so.
After the end of the recording, the video file (*.mp4) can be found on the SharePoint page of the team.
Currently, a retention period of 60 days after the end of recording applies.
Here you can find detailed instructions and hints: Instruction Teams Records
For this purpose, with the client app now gives a new icon: Two nested rectangles.
If you click on them, you can create different rooms and assign people to them.
Without a client app, there are the following two options:
Meeting only with team members in teams
- create multiple channels
- assign one channel to each team member
- start a meeting in all channels in time
For discussion, the team members then use the respective meeting in the selected channel
Meeting with team members and with external participants
- Create an Outlook appointment for each breakout room with "New Teams Meeting".
- Name the appointments in a meaningful way. They are all in parallel in terms of time.
- Now create a web page for yourself on which you embed the meeting links
This way, everyone can access the right spaces for discussion in smaller groups.
The KIT mailboxes would have to be located at Microsoft in the cloud, but these are located locally on the KIT Exchange servers.
- The person to be represented creates a meeting ONCE in their own Outlook calendar WITHOUT specifying participants.
- The created link of this teams meeting can then be copied by the substitutes in a "normal" meeting appointment of the person to be substituted and distributed to the participants.
- Please note that the creator of the team meeting is always the organizer of this meeting.
to Installation & Configuration
If you have installed Teams as an app on a smartphone, you can change the picture there.
Nevertheless, the currently set profile picture still does not appear in the desktop app in the "bobble" at the top right. Unfortunately, we do not have a solution for this at the moment.
However, other team members will see your photo in meetings/chats!
Please be patient until the change is displayed correctly for everyone.
Problem: In Outlook calendar, the icon for creating teams meetings is not visible despite the activated add-in.
(1) New installation of the DesktopApp MS Teams
- Exit MS Outlook and MS Teams
- Uninstall MS Teams
- Make sure that no remnants of the Teams installation (including folders) are left on the client
- Reinstall MS Teams
- Attention: Before you start Outlook again, you should have started MS Teams.
(2) Are you using Windows 10 2016 LTSB with Office 2016?
- a new installation may be sufficient. But if the add-in cannot be activated under Add-Ins or in Calendar, then....
replace the %localappdata%\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin\1.0.22209.4\x86 directory with the following x86 replacement directory: ZIP-File