Instructions for client Viscosity:
Viscosity is an OpenVPN client for macOS which supports the tap interface also with Big Sur (macOS 11) which you need for "KIT VPN2VLAN". For the default VPN "KIT" you can use Viscosity or Tunnelblick (see below).
If you've bought the Viscosity software yourself and you've already installed it you can download the configuration files here: Configuration files for OpenVPN. Otherwise please follow the instructions and download the software including license and configuration files from our website.
Download the software: Viscosity Installer
- Execute the Viscosity installer to install the software.
- As configuration files and license are shipped with the installer you can just start using the software. On older macOS versions (< 10.15) you have to allow the Viscosity System Extension.
- Click on the viscosity menu icon to establish the vpn connection (see figures 1 & 2)
Short instructions for client Tunnelblick:
- Download the OpenVPN client „Tunnelblick“ here and install it
- Download the configuration file for OpenVPN by right clicking on the link: kit.ovpn. Configuration for VPN2VLAN: kit-vpn2vlan.ovpn
- If the extension txt is added to file, remove it. The filename has to be kit.ovpn. Then double-click on the file and add it to the OpenVPN configuration.
- Click on the OpenVPN icon in the menu bar and click "Connect kit".
- Log in with your KIT account
- The “Tunnelblick” documentation can be found here
Detailed instructions for client Tunnelblick:
Download of Tunnelblick:
Installation of Tunnelblick:
Open the install file. If the error message ""Tunnelblick" is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?" appears, click on "Open". The start window of the installation opens. To start the installation doubleclick on the tunnel symbol [Figure 2]. Follow the instructions. During the installation, you might be asked to insert your user name and password several times. Note that the user name and password of your computer are required here and not the login details of your KIT account. A window appears telling you the installation succeeded. Click on “Launch”. A new window will inform you there are no configuration files installed [Figure 3]. Click on "I have configuration files" and on "OK" in the next window [Figure 4].
Download the configuration file for OpenVPN (kit.ovpn) by clicking on the Link while keeping the Ctrl (Control) key pressed. If the extension txt is added to file, remove it. The filename has to be kit.ovpn. Then double-click on the file and add it to the OpenVPN configuration.
Click on the tunnel icon in the menu bar, then on "VPN Details...". Click on Settings and uncheck "Disable IPv6 (tun only)". We also recommend that you select OpenVPN version 2.4 (LibreSSL).
Click on "Advanced..." and check "Allow changes to manually-set network settings".
- VPN connection with Tunnelblick:
You can edit the connection details or stop Tunnelblick by clicking on the tunnel icon.